Wednesday, June 30, 2010

An Introduction

I am not like most genealogists I have met. Most of my genealogy friends tend to be, as I've heard one person describe them, little old ladies in tennis shoes (LOLITS). Most LOLITS are afraid of the computer. Those who aren't usually can't use one anyway. They remember genealogy as being a hobby that required a lot of travelling so that you could go to an archive, write information down on a family group sheet, and try to get a book published and mailed to an eager family audience.

I am not like them. Why? Because I am a college student young enough to be their grandson.

Many people are shocked that someone who doesn't get a senior citizen discount at restaurants would be interested in researching a family history. Quite frankly, I probably wouldn't have gotten involved in family history without some help. That help came in the form of a mission call to the Family and Church History Mission of the LDS Church. While there, I had the opportunity to learn from some of the best genealogists in the world, and I took full advantage of that chance. I learned, however, that there is the need for a shift in the genealogist demographic.

The field genealogy has become fine-crafted to the interests and skills of college-aged people. A great deal of genealogy records are now online, and many of the things that we count as entertainment have become invaluable tools (such as the blog you're reading). I think that many people my age still think that genealogy is boring, that it is something you go and read in books. The truth is that family history has never needed more young people who are savvy with computers than it does right now.

My goal in this (hopefully) weekly blog is to show how we as the up-and-comers can really contribute to family history by using the technology that we love so much and, of course, free stuff online. Together we'll be able to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment